356 and Bristol Freighter

Home Forums Categories Porsche Road – Road models 356 and Bristol Freighter

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Martin 3 months ago.

• Author

Chris Sherwood
    Participant

I particularly like this (albeit poor quality) shot of a 356 boarding a Bristol Freighter.  My late father once took his Bristol car on a Silver City Airways Bristol Freighter.

Martin
    Keymaster

Nothing wrong with the quality of that picture, Chris, especially in relation to its interest. The car looks to be an early 356A of 1955-57 and to be on German export number plates, so might well have been leaving for another country.

Of the 214 Type 170 Freighters made only 11 complete examples exist, the sole one in Europe having been rescued from New Zealand by the Aerospace Bristol museum last year. It requires full restoration and there might still have been another in Britain had it not suffered a takeoff accident 20+ years ago, something which I recall as the father of a friend was one of the passengers. Although everyone survived, the aircraft (which had also crashed seven years before) unfortunately did not.

Chris Sherwood
    Participant

Here is a similar situation, though not this time with a Bristol Freighter.

Chris Sherwood
    Participant

Yes, I recall the restoration of the Bristol Freighter (and recall I may even have a book somewhere on it).  Rather embarrassingly, I believe it was wrecked on its maiden flight after the restoration!

Martin
    Keymaster

I think that the Bristol Freighter appeared at some UK air shows during 1996, the year of its crash. Various parts, including the wings and engines, were still at Enstone airfield (the site of its demise) in the mid-2000’s and may still rest there.

That 356A being loaded into a Delta Air Freighter in the US is a wonderful image too. The aircraft looks to be a Curtiss C46 Commando, one of five operated by Delta and an aeroplane that has had a much longer civilian than it did in the services. Produced from 1941 to 1945, there are lots of static survivors and five are still being flown commercially at between 74 and 78 years of age!

Here are a couple more Porsche and plane pictures, showing an example of the short-lived 356A Convertible D and a Sud Aviation Caravelle. Taken when both were new in 1959, ‘Vagn Viking’ was also written off when it was hit by a service truck in 1974 at Stockholm’s Arlanda airport. In the background of the above shot passengers are being transferred in a sort of open-sided road train.

The Convertible D (for coachbuilder Drauz) replaced the Speedster was itself replaced after its short 1958-59 run by the 356B Roadster, built by d’Iteren.

Photos: Porsche AG

Chris Sherwood
    Participant

And here is another one!  Not sure what the Vauxhall Victor comment is about..

Martin
      Keymaster

From the same shoot as in Post#5758 but the girl has donned her cap and jacket again. That nice tonneau is not covering the passenger seat as it is in the first shots and by the time this was published the picture of this not particularly successful model was two years old. From the Swedish text they appear to have been using the photo to promote a feature on flights and car hire and the Vauxhall comment refers to them passing judgement so it must have been the subject of a road test.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This site is protected by wp-copyrightpro.com

Skip to toolbar